To all DIY community, everybody is looking thoroughly up and around the town of the viral “CRAFT MATERIAL VARIANT”. Even from merchants to the online store, all are earnestly seeking this incredible specie of craft ingredients, and unfortunately, it is still unknown. As we heard, it is considered to be harmless yet contains dangerously beautiful qualities of a uniquely specialized DIY-ing element. It can be craftily wonderful and amazing in your piece.
I believe you wouldn’t want to come running late for this! You are now also in the ride of searching for a chance to experience this viral “CRAFT MATERIAL VARIANT” on your creations. Am I right? Today, in a blink of an eye, we will delve for it! The question is, are you ready to become a craft enthusiast in your way? If it’s an absolute yes, then great! CRAFT EXPERT MODE, LOCKED IN!
By the way, here is what you need to do. STOP, LOOK, AND LISTEN. Our heart for crafting will be our radar leading us in what we are looking for. Meanwhile, our senses will be our invisible eyes for us to see the real beauty of that viral “craft material variant”. Since there’s nothing more left, let the personal and real “hunting” experience begins right now. Be the first one to find and discover it! If not, be the first one to have a firsthand encounter with it!
The Craft Material Variant: It is called PUFF Heat Transfer Vinyl
For sure, many dig in their time for this quest while some go a deep haul and do some store hopping just to have a close encounter at this target material. You know what? It is shockingly surprising!
Craft enthusiasts in the DIY world and Crafters in all parts of the HTV industry announced very important findings! Finally, that craft material variant is now ready to be made known to everyone. You won’t believe it and it will wow you! The one that we are searching for all this time is none other than the “PUFF HEAT TRANSFER VINYL”. A crafting material that is indeed an impeccable discovery to customization of products!
The PUFFtastic Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl: What’s with it?
Well, if you are in the look of a craft material that can give the popping view and viral creative effect to your design, one name we got in here is the Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl. This material may not be one of the main stars among our vinyl materials however this time the spotlight is on for it.
Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl at first glance might just look like a normal, thin, and flat iron-on vinyl but behind it lays a distinctive characteristic that cannot be found and compared to other materials you have used before. Far from the average HTVs, Puff HTV is a special iron-on material that selflessly expands carrying the so-called “puff effect”. This gives depth, texture, and dimensions to your design after the printing process. It is an impressive material that can bring different tastes or something that’s never been expected to carry an optimizing work in your DIY projects.
Did you know?
Puff HTV is also a type of iron-on film with a Polyurethane composition containing foam effect. It has a sticky liner that easily activates for adhesion and permits transfer of design permanently attach to your surface. When it undergoes cutting and weeding, it easily and swiftly passes the process.
The “Puff Effect”: How does it take place to Puff HTV?
The right amount of heat and pressure is the triggering factor that can release the magic. This can make you run a show for an exciting exhibition a Puff HTV can do. Its unique ability to give a “puff effect” resulting in a 3D feel of the image always takes place when heat is placed and pressure applied into it. As soon it is completely exposed to a hot temperature and receives the right amount of pressure, it selflessly expands and voluminously rises. In just one press using your heat printing tools, it will guarantee you to achieve the puff finish that adds dimension to your imprint.
Puff HTV: Why it is “viral” to crafter’s Artistic Eye?
At this point, it sounds so sure your curiosity is now growing bigger and further! Who wouldn’t wait for more? The little sneak peek of it hangs our excitement and increases our expectations! Similar to others, you are not only amazed by this HTV’s rare quality but its anonymity gets you extra intrigued by it. So it’s about time to have the performance and let Puff HTV lay all of its cards to give you a real deal of the other things it can do for your design!
Here are some lists of reasons why all eyes are on this extraordinary “variant of craft material”.
- Hippy Vibes on the groove? It’s doable! Aside from beautifying your design layout, Puff HTV’s 3-dimensional effects are not only in demand for kid’s clothes but in fact, it can be suitable for any customized items fit for all ages.
- Get your imprints fashionably alive and greets everybody with fun, bold, and rich colors! This HTV offers a selection of colors in different varieties from the most used pallet to strikingly vibrant neon colors. Additionally, Puff HTV can give you a live transition of colors upon the process of application. Once the heat is applied, the color it gives to your design becomes brighter while the shading lightens to give more emphasis on the edges of your text. Isn’t it? It is so cool to use!
- For leisure or activity clothing? Expand the choices you can offer and cater to your customer needs using this HTV material! Whether the outfits are for daily or activewear you can stamp out that imprint on any selected items you wish and your customer expected you to design. You can also decorate totes, bags, pillowcases, kitchen aprons and so much more using this Puff HTV.
- Puff HTV is also great when it comes to compatibility. It will not give you headaches in thinking about where surfaces you can attach it to or at which cutting machine you can cut it. First, its compatibility with fabrics such as cotton, polyester, poly/cotton blends, leather, uncoated polyester, or spandex will make your printing goes well. Just take note, Puff HTV is not compatible to adhere on nylon, dye-sublimated, or coated fabrics. Secondly, you can do your work in this HTV even if you are in the comfort of your own home or for commercial purposes like bulk printing. It is suitable to cut mostly with any cutting machines and thus truly satisfies the intricate cutting needs of your design.
- Puff HTV has also a durable material and has a plastic backing that is sensitive to pressure which allows you to do repositioning of your design.
Designing Level up: The Basic Guide to Usage and Application of Puff HTV
As we go leveling up to the phase of encountering Puff HTV, in this section every tip will be given and every “how” will be answered. So before your colorful ideas fly off and let your imagination burst, it’s important not only the details about Puff HTV are what we should be familiar with. Instead, we must master everything we need to learn, everything we need to do, and everything that is needed in the application process of it.
How to Use Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl?
Ready your pen and notes because our most important puff journey begins right now! Make sure not to miss any single detail about its application process.
- Cutting Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl
Cutting part in the HTV application process can be the smoothest or roughest stage to go through. Why? From the moment you load your HTV on the cutting mat, you cannot go wrong with how you place it or with what setting you will use. Cutting can be easy and clean as long as you use the correct cut setting for your HTV. On the other hand, when the cutting process is good your weeding will be swift as well.
Since we mentioned already that Puff HTV is a flexible material and compatibility with other craft tools isn’t difficult. Cutting will be easy as long you have with you your most reliable cutting buddy, your craft cutting machines. Cutting machines like Silhouette Cameo, Cricut, Brother Scan N Cut, Roland Graphtec, and others are known cutting machines that can fulfill a one-of-a-kind cutting task for you.
- How to cut Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl using Silhouette Cameo?
Making your first cut on a Puff HTV using your Silhouette Cameo is not complicated or frustrating at all. Crafting is so simple and stress-free with this powerful cutting machine. To help you out, here are the basic steps to guide you in using Silhouette to cut your Puff HTV.
Step 1: First thing first, before you load your HTV and press that send button to deliver your design on the cutting machine, check and know first what is the appropriate cut setting for your Puff HTV using Silhouette.
Blade: Standard, 3
Setting: Heat Transfer Material (Smooth)
Blade: Standard, 3
Setting: Heat Transfer Material (Smooth)
Step 2: Make sure you have downloaded and install Silhouette studio. In this way, you can ready your layout by applying the proper scale and position intended for your design. You may also use shapes, texts, or ready-made designs available in the software or open your own cut files directly.
Step 4: Load your HTV to the cutting mat going to your cutting machine.
- Which side of the Puff HTV goes down the mat? Before you place your HTV on the cutting mat, be sure to place the “cut side” of the Puff HTV. As for HTV, it has two sides that are intended for cutting and ironing. For Puff HTV, noticing which face of it goes for cutting is very easy. The DISTINCTIVE SHINY FACE of the Puff HTV is the one that GOES DOWN THE CUTTING MAT and the MATTE FACE go UP.
Step 5: Test Cut. To avoid wastage of your material, doing test cuts will give you the security of the setting you applied for cutting the HTV is working properly. It is always best the prescribed cut setting for Puff HTV. Similarly, to other HTV types, the cut setting intended for it must be applied.
Note: You need to increase the blade’s depth or force if it didn’t go through the vinyl material. Decrease the blade’s depth if it nudges through the cutting mat and gets stuck.
Step 6: After the test cut, you’re good to do your final cut.
- What Setting do you cut Puff HTV on Cricut?
Cutting Puff HTV using a Cricut Machine is another good option for lots of crafters. Like other cutting machines, it can cut all kinds of HTV types, and certainly, it can do the intricate cutting for Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl.
To make your cutting with Puff HTV excellently good here is a recommended cut setting when you think about using Cricut Machine.
Blade: Standard, 3
Setting: Iron - on
Blade: Standard, 3
Setting: Iron - on
- Does Puff HTV need to be mirrored when cutting?
Like any other process involve in the usage of HTV, mirroring is important for it is the key to making your material shy away from a bad cutting day. Mirroring is applied when it comes to the cutting process for its safeguard and to ensure the correct side of the design is being cut properly. Therefore, similar to other HTV, Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl is not exempted when it comes to mirroring.
Note: It does not only depend on what type of HTV you are using for you to apply mirroring in the process. It can also be depending on what kind of design layout you have on your imprint. For example, for text and unsymmetrical design mirroring is required. While symmetrical or non-text design, mirroring is not needed for whether you cut or print it, it will appear alike.
Application of Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl
In any type of vinyl material you use for your creation, the application process and the heat printing elements don’t have much difference or it’s no difference at all. Whether you choose to apply standard, holographic, pattern, or other HTV types, it will make your fashionably creative ideas stand out.
After knowing how cutting should be done with Puff HTV, this time let’s get familiarized with the basic steps to the application of Puff HTV. Later, I’m confident at end of this session, you will be able to perform and execute the best application practices with your Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl.
- General Steps to Puff HTV Application
Step 1: Preparation
- The place of work must always be clean and must be an area to work pleasantly.
- For heat printing preparation, a sturdy pressing spot is required especially when applying pressure to the design.
Step 2: Design Creation
- With the software available on your computer, you can create your design. You can also use readily-made designs available on your software or open the self-made cut file if you already have one.
- To finalize the design, apply appropriate size and color contrast to match your base material.
Step 2: Design Mirroring
- Don’t forget to mirror your imprint. The benefit of this, it will make the HTV correctly face on the cutting mat and even when applied.
Step 3: Cutting of the HTV
- Follow proper positioning of the HTV when loading it to the cutting mat. The shiny side faces down the cutting mat.
- You may also do a test cut to assure everything will be set before doing the final cut.
- For Puff HTV’s cut setting, apply the suggested cut setting which will be appropriate to the cutting machine you are using. (You may refer to the cut setting mentioned previously if you are using Silhouette Cameo or Cricut).
Step 4: Weeding
- Weeding Puff HTV is similar to the usual HTV you have used before. Remove the unnecessary vinyl that is not part of your design.
Step 5: Heat Pressing and Design Application
- You may pre-press your medium if it is a fabric so that moisture and creases will be removed. Pre-pressing will help you have a smooth application of your design.
- Set your iron or heat press with a temperature of about 320 °F or 160 °C with medium pressure and a time setting of about 15 seconds.
- When using a heat transfer cover sheet, parchment paper is much suggested to be used with puff HTV.
- Peel the carrier sheet while it is warm.
- Is Puff Heat Transfer Vinyl can be layered?
Are you thinking of more ways to let your imprint with Puff HTV become like a magnet that can attract customers’ attention? That idea might be a good game plan for you; yet have you ever thought of ways to do it?
As we all know, the HTV application technique called layering is one of the game-changer to heat printing most used by crafters. To customers who love stylishness, distinctiveness, and edginess, playing with colors by placing one colorful piece of vinyl material on another layer of HTV can give a different impact and impression. If we talk about the edginess or stylishness of an imprint, no doubt Puff HTV can serve this to you by giving a “3 dimension appearance or puff effect”. It’s already a plus factor present in Puff HTV and it can be enough reason to make customers drop in your shop. However, if we will make use of “colors” to double up your imprint’s charm it may come with a “BUT”.
Here’s a bit of sad truth. Puff HTV can be a good HTV to apply on your surface however, it cannot play with colors as the layering technique requires. The main reason, Puff HTV belongs to the group of specialty HTV. Specialty HTV for layering is classified as HTV intended to be top layer only and not ideal to be a base layer. For such reason, first, top layers in the layering process are mostly thicker and uneven or rugged in texture so it can’t provide an even surface for better application. Secondly, if Specialty Vinyl will become the base layer to accomplish layering, it might not endure receiving high heat end up melting, and will ruin the surface, unlike real HTV base layers. In a clearer picture, if another HTV has a base layer quality and requires high heat for application; they will be placed on the top of the Puff HTV; as a result, it will not attach well. Additionally, it will not provide good surface contact for adhesion and it will just scorch after multiple presses of heat. Specialty HTV like Puff HTV can accomplish its use by highlighting or emphasizing the edge look and making the texture of your layered imprint more visible.
And yes, you might not know, what you are looking for could be just right inside your crafting room! It is indeed enthralling! We didn’t expect, after all, exploration and all, this craft material variant called PUFF HTV is just on our shelves! So shall we say, finally the search is officially over? Definitely yes!
These big findings in today’s session only imply that we don’t need to search the whole surface of the earth just to find the perfect material we are looking for. Now I suddenly remember some of the few lessons I learned in my science class when I was young, like how some scientists accidentally find out their discovery and turned it into their greatest inventions. This is also the same as choosing and making our craft material more functional. As the saying goes, “sometimes you just have to use your eyes and look closely right where you are standing”.
If this moment we spent together makes you more inspired, well I can’t wait to see your design lies at the top of the surface of your medium using this vinyl material